Saturday, October 8, 2011

What I learned today...

Pictured: people who have no idea how long this day will be.

The first edition of the Steeplechase is behind us, now there are just the ensuing nightmares of gummed up wheels and shoes.  And so much walking slogging.  Thanks to everyone who made the trip - some of you came hundreds of miles only to be subjected to something bordering on sadistic.  I also want to thank the long-suffering partners and spouses (especially my own) who allow us to do things like this to ourselves.  And a shout out to Ace Bikes for giving us a rendezvous point and a roof to have our pre-ride assembly in.

If you'd like, send me your photos of this epic event that I can include in a gallery.  Also send me your critiques/comments.  Please keep a lid on the profanity.  I've already received one email that was very gracious and has helped me focus on the positive, as well as promising even more folks for next years event...which is just crazy.   Make that two.

cleaning, so much cleaning
So here's a short list of what I learned:
1) have maps available for those that want them, marked with alternate routes and/or bailout points.
2) have an alternate route for weather events just like the one we had last night
3) make sure my own tools are in order
4) gravel folks are a breed apart
5) MMR's can be a exceedingly unpleasant
6) wraparound fenders make excellent brakes
7) when estimating my time, double it

I managed to drag my aching backside home around 5:20 (not 5 hours and 20 mins.) after suffering a complete derailleur malfunction at about 40 miles.  I came home with a brand new single that at first was acting like a fixie.  My bike needs work.
My new rear d design (patent pending)

My bike after I shot it.



3 comments:

  1. Good looking bunch! Sorry about the muddy weather, but 'mud happens'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special shout out Gabriella and Marj! Girl Power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for organizing an excellent adventure Gregg. It was tough but it was a blast. Looking forward to next year.

    Marj

    ReplyDelete