Sunday, August 28, 2011

Steeples!

Sunday is my usual ride day, preferably early in the morning while the kids are still happy to lounge around in the pj's.  However, the day broke dark and thundery and ultimately we ended up with a good amount of rain.  I got out on the road during naptime (theirs, not mine) about 4 hours post-rain.  For the most part the roads held up pretty well if a bit on the soft side.  However, the MMR's were quite soft and I was able to demonstrate my hands-free track stand.  (yes, I ride with fenders)  I probably only had to walk about 200 yards during the course of the ride.  I'm planning to have about 5 miles of this type of road for the big day.

Rural Nebraska can be very rural - I would guess the population peaked in this particular corner of the state in the 1920's.  There are still functioning churches in these parts though the schools have continued to consolidate.  In some cases the church and a few houses are all that's left of what once upon a time was a modestly prosperous community.  I have no delusions about reversing that trend by having a little bike ride with the hopes of attracting would-be pioneers.  I just think this is a scenic area not seen very much by outsiders.  If y'all want to stay and put down roots that's your business.

No comments:

Post a Comment